- 1 cup pearled barley
- 2 cups chopped sweet potato, ½-inch cubes, about 2 medium
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium shallot, about 1/3 cup
- 3 cups savoy cabbage, sliced into 1-inch by 2-inch strips
- ¼ cup diced sugar dates, about 5 whole
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 3 tablespoons lightly toasted pine nuts
Serves 6–8 as a side, 1–2 as an entrée
Cook the barley to al dente as directed on the package (about 2½ cups water to 1 cup barley). Cook over a slow boil with a lid on for about 20–25 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Toss the sweet potatoes in 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in the oven at 350° until tender, about 20–25 minutes.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the shallot in 1 tablespoon olive oil until translucent and golden brown. Add the roasted sweet potatoes and cooked barley and sauté for 2–3 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid sticking. Toss in the cabbage and the dates and continue to cook for 2–3 minutes longer, until the cabbage is lightly wilted.
Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the pomegranate juice and the lemon juice. Continue to cook while stirring until the liquid is incorporated and the grains become glossy. Remove from the heat and stir in the Gorgonzola crumbles, salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle pine nuts generously over the top.
Recipe courtesy of Andrew Jones, owner of Rua in Warsaw, IN.