- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or other mild-flavored oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 heirloom apple, thinly sliced
- 4 cups purple cabbage, washed and thinly sliced
- ½ to 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried hot pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
Place the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion until softened. Add the apple, cabbage and salt. Once the cabbage is softening, add the hot pepper flakes, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Continue to cook for another 3–5 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust as desired.
Makes a perfect accompaniment to our Roasted Pork Stuffed with Heirloom Apples recipe!