- 2 cups peeled, diced pears
- 3 shallots, peeled and left in cloves
- 6 (1-inch) pieces fresh ginger root, skinned
- 1 cup sugar
- Mild apple cider vinegar*
- 1 quart Mason jar with lid
Add pears, shallots and ginger to a clean Mason jar. Fill with apple cider vinegar and tighten lid. Shake vigorously and allow to sit on the counter at room temperature for 7 days, shaking vigorously once a day.
After 7 days, strain the mixture through cheesecloth and put back in jar. Add the sugar, tighten the lid and shake vigorously.
Refrigerate for 3 days, shaking the mixture vigorously once a day.
*Editor's note: We recommend a mild cider vinegar like the one from Kress Apiary. Otherwise, try champagne vinegar.