- 1 ounce ginger, about a 3-inch piece
- 3 Fresno chilis or jalapeños
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon ground Spanish paprika
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 whole free-range chicken
- 3 cups oil, vegetable or canola
- 4 ounces horseradish root
- 4 ounces ginger root
- 1 garlic bulb, peeled
- 4 shallots, peeled
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1 lemon
Grind all marinade ingredients with a mortar and pestle or food processor until it becomes a paste. Remove the spine of the chicken, rub the marinade all over the chicken and refrigerate for 24 hours.
Place the oil, horseradish root, ginger, garlic, shallot and carrot in a deep cast-iron skillet on medium heat (250°). Place the whole marinated chicken on top of the vegetables, then another smaller pan on top with a heavy stone or multiple cans of food to weigh it down.
Flip the chicken every 8 minutes, spooning the oil over the top of the entire chicken before placing the weight back on.
Cook until the thickest part (the breasts) read 155° (about 30–35 minutes); remove and let rest for 10 minutes.
Finish with fresh lemon juice.