- 3 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons plus ¾ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 beets, washed, unpeeled and wrapped in foil
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled and wrapped in foil
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 3 cups chopped kale, washed
- 1 cup cooked cannellini beans
- 1 cup chopped English walnuts
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
Preheat oven to 425°. Place the squash and carrots on a pan covered with parchment paper and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and ¾ teaspoon of salt. Place this pan along with the beets and garlic in the oven for 25–35 minutes, until the squash and beets are easily pierced with a fork.
While this is cooking, place the apple, kale, beans and walnuts in a large salad bowl. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the ¾ cup olive oil, vinegar and maple syrup. When the squash and carrots are finished cooking, add them to the salad bowl. Remove the beets from the oven and thinly slice. Add this to the salad as well.
Peel the roasted garlic and add it to the vinaigrette. Process the dressing in a blender or food processor. Toss the dressing with the salad and add the remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt. Toss again. Serve with a loaf of warm bread.
Serves 4–6 as a main dish, or 8–10 as a side