- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced, about 1 cup
- 2–3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped, about ½–¾ cup
- 2 celery stalks, diced, about ½ cup
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced, about 2 cups
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14½-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14½-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14½-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1½ cup frozen corn
- 1 (4–ounce) can minced green chilies
- 2 (14½-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Grated Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- Sliced scallions
- Chopped avocado
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Lime wedges
- Tortilla chips
In a large Dutch oven or stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, sweet potato and garlic, and cook over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes, or until vegetables start to soften.
Add the beans, corn, green chilies, tomatoes and vegetable stock, and simmer over medium-high heat.
Add the vinegar, brown sugar, chili powder, cocoa powder, cayenne, salt and black pepper. Stir until well mixed.
Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve with your favorite toppings.
Related Stories & Recipes
A tadka is a spice combination heated in hot oil or ghee (clarified butter) to release its unique essences. A tadka is truly what makes the dish flavorful. A simple tadka creates a tasty and comple...
By Eamonn McParland, chef/partner at Render Kitchen & Bar